mandag den 9. juli 2018

Lake Arrowhead - April 27 (2)

Saturday, April 27 cont'd

We pack up the bikes, and I leave the trailer at Kajs place, just to see if there's much of a difference when riding the MZ as a normal solo bike. There isn't, because it's still gutless. Then we ride for 3 hours through seemingly endless suburbia, because Kaj thinks I don't want to go on highways (Kaj is wrong). Our destination is Dave Jensens house up near Lake Arrowhead, some 90 miles from Seal Beach.

Once free of the endless number of traffic lights, the climbing starts. Oh man, if the MZ struggles like this even without the extra wheel, I know that I'll be seriously fucked when I reach The Rockies and Pike's Peak. The road upwards is a 4-laner, I work hard to maintain 45 mph (70 kph) in 3rd and 4th gears, and these curves just go on and on. Very beautiful view over San Bernardino, though, the preciously few moments I dare take my eyes off the road.

Yesterday I saw one of the Goodyear blimps being serviced close to the freeway, and an OV-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft flying overhead. Today's only entertainment with wings is a falcon hanging there, motionless in the updraft, with dramatically extended claws, waiting to catch some poor rodent.

Then Dave's Nimbus dies halfway up to the 5174 feet high peak (1577 m), and we mentally work our slow way through theories of what might be wrong, and how can it possibly can be fixed. After some other tries, the condenser is replaced, and the thing runs again. We reach the house, one more Nimbus-Dave appears, pizzas get ordered & eaten, and I do the lecture of my Nimbus-in-Japan trip, causing Kaj to nod off.


Wigwam Motel along Historic Route 66.



Minor trouble being fixed.



To a job well done.


 



The road uphill to Lake Arrowhead.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar