mandag den 9. juli 2018

That Flat Feeling Again - May 3

Thursday, May 3rd

Next morning a bike shop 20 miles in the wrong directions picks up the MZ, at a reasonable one dollar per mile. They change the tube while I eat something breakfast-ish at a 'Jack in the box' fastfood joint, so two hours & $124 later I'm on my merry way again. At least for while.



The less-than-dignified shop dog....


From the flat landscape with Joshua trees, I now ride by way of Red Rock State Park, and if what I can see from the fourlaner is any indication, it must be a wild experience to go and walk around in there. But having stopped again at the custom car shop, and now seen Gene Winfield's little museum with all manner of movie things, I press on to make it to my motel in Death Valley before it gets dark. 


Lindsey showing me a whole room at the museum dedicated to the Star Trek tv-series. 



Syd Mead was one of my favourite sci fi illustrators.



Yet another road sign, this time with 'Syphilis, the silent killer'. Note text on white car hood beneath the sign.



Along the way I saw a good number of solar farms and a very large windmill park.



It is not to be: the rear tyre goes flat again, now twice as far from the nearest motorcycle dealer. Thanks to the wonders of modern communication, I call the Honda dealer in Ridgecrest shortly before he closes, and then a towing service that will get the MZ and me there. Sure this is bad luck, but then it could also have happened at dusk and - say - halfway into Death Valley. Always being able to focus on the (in this case $300) silver lining, I know that tomorrow there'll be more time to enjoy the various sights in the valley, which people in Denmark and here have recommended, than if I could have carried on as originally planned.


 Literally half an hour before this happened, I joined the AMA (American Motorcycle Association), in order to be able to use their roadside assistance program. It will go into effect in two business days, they said - serves me right for not having taken care of this before I left Los Angeles.

1 kommentar:

  1. It is good to have AMA for roadside assistance and I think it would be great while going on a long journey by road. best park and fly

    SvarSlet