mandag den 9. juli 2018

Fixing Things - May 1

Tuesday, May 1st


Lunch with pilot Mike Hanson that I flew with a week ago. Bit of a
dramatic way to serve a burger, no?

The bicycle shop guys are under 40 years of age, so of course they quickly set up the bicycle speedometer. Same with the computer guy at Best Buy, who makes my laptop behave in a less difficult manner. I sand down the trailer side, leaving it matte, style be damned, and go for a spark plug test ride, as directed by the Danish expert's latest string of emails. The plug looks good, although not as good as the cop bike at the side of the road.


In addition to a large speed gun, the BMW police bike has a friggin' rifle mounted at the rear....

The cop is busy, but I stop, so when he's done ticketing, he can have a look at the MZ. I mentioned it to him a few days ago, when inquiring about how they'd deal with my Danish permission to ride helmetless (A: they don't, so I've been on painkillers every time I went riding for more than ten minutes). Anyway, he now sees what his East German colleagues once rode, laughs but likes the bike, and can't believe anyone would dare to ride cross country on a 19 bhp motorcycle. Then he wishes me a good journey, and soon I'm back at Kaj's place, where I start taking things apart. 

After rereading the instructions sent from Denmark, on how to fix the stupid idle problem that's been bothering me for a week, I locate no less than five air leaks, one of which is caused by a stripped tread in the cylinder. This is serious stuff, but Kaj never fails to have what I need for my workings, so soon a helicoil insert finds it way in. Electrical tape covers the holes in the rotting intake rubber, and lo and behold, now the bike idles fine, and rides perfectly up and down Taper Drive. Who knows, I may even get some of the power back.


In addition this succes, Dave Jensen drops by with a GoPro camera to mount on the MZ, so maybe I will upload some riding scenes later. Gawd knows they would have been good the other day, when I was following Dave and his 'LYKKELI' vanity plate through the mountains.


Kaj & Sammy at home.


















Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar